I don’t know where my spouse is, can I still get a divorce?

Yes. You can still get a divorce, but it will require some added steps.

Typically, to get a divorce, first you have to serve your spouse with official court papers providing notice of the divorce. If you cannot locate your spouse, you can use a special procedure called Service by Publication. Service by Publication means you will take out an ad in the legal newspaper that runs for 3 weeks and you will also send the court papers to your spouse’s last known address.

But before you will granted a divorce by publication, you must convince the judge that you made every effort to find your spouse. Judges routinely deny and prolong divorce cases when they think that you might be able to find your spouse if you looked hard enough. Completing this worksheet will help prove to judge that you have made a diligent effort: https://www.esserlegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Divorce-by-Publication-Worksheet.pdf.